Thursday, November 5, 2009

How to reduce your stress in 15 minutes a week!

I have a friend who sits down every Sunday afternoon with a piece of paper in hand. She looks at what is in her cupboards and freezer and makes of list of main meals for the week. Simple meals, but a menu none the less. (It’s just a piece of notebook paper, nothing fancy.) She then makes a little grocery list according to what other items she needs to complete the meals plus breakfast and lunch items.

My friend keeps her grocery bill at bay, is prepared for dinner each night and manages to take care of all the many children in her home (including the one with food allergies!).

She is my hero. Wish I were that good.

It really is such a simple concept. She only takes about 15 minutes to "plan". FIFTEEN MINUTES!!! And she is ready for the grocery store and coming week’s meals. Why, oh why, is that so hard for me??

Alas.... I am doomed for the need to feel "inspired" in the kitchen. [Was that a little too dramatic? OK... reality check...]

Seriously, when I STOP and PLAN.... it is amazing what a little planning will do. I think the reason I/we/most people do not plan is because we are just not trained that way. Unlike my friend who obviously had a much disciplined mother and is a disciplined personality type herself... most of us are fly-by-the-pants kind of people. Which can be good at times... but usually doesn't help in the day to day routines.

So, why am I writing about this in a food blog? Well, because... a little planning for a few minutes each week and you CAN feed your loved one healthy, allergy free meals and snacks. And possibly save some money in the process too.

So this week, make a resolution:

1) I WILL take 5 minutes and make an easy dinner menu plan for the week. I will put the menu plan on the fridge. (So as not to loose it… which I’ve done personally)

2) Then I will take 5 minutes and look in my cabinets and freezer to see what I have. (Now is not the time to clean out the cabinets… Resist~ all my fellow highly distractible personality types! Resist! You will get side tracked from your mission.)

3) Then I will make a short grocery list for items I need and put it in my purse/pocket/Day-Timer for when I go to the store. (There again, so you won’t get to the store and slap your forehead as you call your husband and ask him to find where you left your list….)

That's all! 15 minutes of your life.
Repeat for 3 more weeks and see how you did this month!

P.S.  Make sure you put cornbread on that list somewhere (even if it's corn free cornbread)

FREE PRINTABLES:

For the "techies" out there... here is a free menu planner.  Here is a free grocery list planner.
And for those who realy want to supercharge their savings, here is a grocery list envelope (where you can put our coupons in it that you need and your shoppers card).

No comments:

Post a Comment