Monday, October 26, 2009

Great Northerns!

















I have discovered a new thing. Yep... yet another "new" thing. White beans.


I suppose that growing up in the South influenced my genre of edible beans. I can smell them now, those beans in a big pot simmering on the cast iron stove. We did not use humidifiers in the wintertime, we just cooked a pot of beans and the steam “humidified” the house in the process. We had lima beans, butter beans, butter peas, pinto beans. Of course, the beans were always served with corn bread [buttermilk cornbread at grandma’s house]. Ah, those were the days.

My honey, on the other hand, grew up in the North. His favorite beans seem so foreign to me - lentils, split peas, etc. I am not sure I had ever tried a lentil before I married. I am not sure he had ever learned to eat cornbread with beans for a meal before we married.  Marriage can be such a good thing.
In addition, I never knew what a “great northern” bean was. I never even realized that white beans were the main ingredient used to make all those tons of baked beans eaten at every church gathering and picnic. In my mind, the color of a bean ranged from green to brown or purple. Funny what we seem to overlook in life.

Alas, in our multiple-allergies world, I have rediscovered white beans. They have a mild flavor that just picks up the seasoning of whatever you are cooking them with. Alone in a bowl, the kids will not touch them. However, mix them in with some seasonings and maybe some protein and there are no leftovers to be found after a meal. You can even use the dry beans and throw those babies in a coffee grinder to make some “bean flour” for instant thickener or for high protein flour. My favorite thing has been to make “cream of bean” soup… replaces the dairy and wheat laden “cream of mushroom/chicken/celery” soups in so many recipes. A little water, bean flour and your favorite seasonings and “Viola’!” you have soup!

So dearies…tonight’s offering was made because I had left over chicken in the fridge along with a mess of great northerns. I threw a salad and apple slices in to round things out. I then had to make a plate for my honey before the kids licked the skillet clean. Enjoy!

Great Northern Quick Skillet Chicken
2 cooked chicken breast (or used canned gluten free)
½ white onion
1 tsp. dried Garlic
1 tsp. Salt
Cooked Great Northern Beans (about 2 cans)
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Parsley

In a skillet, throw in your chicken, onion garlic and salt. Sauté it a bit. Then add in the beans and other seasonings. Simmer for about 10 minutes. (I added a little water while simmering…. Because my beans needed it.)

Serve with a salad, rolls or rice.

Serves 4 (if you have hollow-legged growing children)
Serves 6 (if you eat normal portions)

No comments:

Post a Comment