Friday, October 23, 2009

Good nutrition is like a rainbow... sort of


You ask why?  Why is there a picture of dried split peas and lentils mixed together in my bowl?

Well it all started back in elemtary school.  Really!  When one day in nutrition and health they informed us that it was very important to have a variety of food.  Then they explained how our plate should be filled with a "rainbow of colors".  I came home armed with my new knowledge and inspected dinner every night according to it's colorfulness.  My family wasn't impressed.  To this day I still get snickers when I talk about how colorful some dish of food is.  [Families can be so supportive sometimes.]

Well, I am always on the look out on how to try to add in some fiber and beans in our diet.  They are so good for you.  Good for you and cheap!  And there I was all happily browning some ground beef with onion, garlic, carrots.... and realized... I forgot to soak the beans last night!  And, no, there weren't any in a can in the cabinet either.  What to do?? 

I dug through the cabinets and there I spied them..... Lentils!!! The amazing little bean that doesn't have to be pre-cooked.  Twenty minutes bubbling on the stove and yummy dinner would be served.  So there I was measuring out those cute little (yet non-colorful) beans.  Then I spied a small amount of green split peas.  Nice little brightly colored green peas.  "I shall just mix these in with the lentils and add some nice color to the soup." I said to myself.  [bad idea #1] Then I poured them in...... and one small brightly colored split pea dropped out and rolled onto the floor.  I stooped to pick it up......

Then it happened!  "NOOOOOOOOO!"  [Flashbacks started playing in my mind.]  How could I have done this???!!!  Didn't I remember???

The kids are running through the kitchen at this point.  "Go outside!  Go outside right now and take your brother and play!.... No forget setting the table... out!"

I suddenly remembered why I hadn't used that last small amount of brightly colored green split peas.  The last major hive outbreak we had with our then 2 year old had been from him eating a dried pea off the floor.  A floor we had swepted and checked and thought was o.k.  Somehow those little floor crawlers can sniff out a crumb of food from 3 houses down... particularly if they are allergic to it!

So I had sent the children out as I swept up the floor and my heartbeat slowed down.  Then I thought, I'll just separate those peas from the lentils.  [bad idea #2]  Ten minutes later..... frustration set in.  Beans are cheap.  I took this picture, then threw them out!  The risk was not worth those few cents of beans.  Next I proceeded to rinse another batch of lentils for the soup.

Alas, who thought fixing dinner would be so stressful!
Note to self: clean out the cabinets!  And throw out things we don't use anymore.... even if it is colorful!

For you.... a yummy fall soup that is great for when you forget the soak the beans overnight.


Lentil and Beef Soup:

1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
1 chopped onion
1 tsp. garlic salt or chopped garlic (to taste... I like a lot)
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Throw this all in the  pot and brown away. 

1 c. carrots, chopped

Throw these in as you get them chopped, and stir your meat mixture.

1 c. dried lentils
1 pinch thyme (opt.)
1 bay leaf (opt.)
4 c. water

Bring to a boil, then cut the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes or until those non-colorful lentils are soft.

Serve over some brown rice, or a baked potato (if you can) or GF corn bread.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment