Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tomato Free "Tomato Sauce" and Spaghetti!

Looky-looky!!! My boy is happy! He has his favorite dish... SPAGHETTI!


Gluten-free noodles and Tomato FREE "tomato" sauce!!!

I have tried tomato free sauce for my sweetie before. They are usually beet based, really sweet..., and really purple! Just not quite... "tomato saucy" enough for my taste.

So tonight, I had this wild hair..... I see the sweet potato just innocently sitting in the veggie drawer.... I wonder????

Here is my latest concoction! According to my dear son... "It's PERFECT MOM!" So, I am a happy woman.


Tomato Free Spaghetti Sauce

1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped (or canned)
1 handful of carrot, peeled and chopped (or canned)
1 beets, cleaned and slice (or canned)
1/2 lb. ground beef, browned
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. parley
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. garlic

You can do these two ways: faster or slower

Faster: open those bad boy cans up and throw them all in the food processor, puree your frustrations away. Then dump them all in a saucepan on the stove with the ground beef (cooked) and seasonings. Simmer on low until your sauce is not so purple and the seasonings have time to flavor the veggies. (10-20 minutes)

Slower: peel and chop those fresh veggies, then process them in a Cuisinart (with some added water as needed) until you have a nice mush. Dump this in the saucepan with the beef and seasoning (and a little extra water if needed), stir together. Simmer until you have a nice yummy smelling sauce (apprx. 20-25 minutes).

What I actually did tonight: It was a combo. I do not tend to have beets lying around in my fridge. Therefore, I slurried up my carrots and sweet potatoes and added them in with the canned beets in the pan. It really gave the sauce a "thickness" that just canned veggies do not give. Know what I mean? You could even just steam your veggies in the microwave to soften them up first. Lots of options. Fun! Fun!

Serve over gluten free noodles or spaghetti squash and watch your kid's face light up!

Servings: I do not know... we never seem to have leftovers no matter how much I fix.

Hint: Make your kids eat their salad while waiting for the sauce to finish cooking. In addition, make sure you fix yourself a plate before you let them serve themselves! I tend to make a big pot of sauce and freeze some back for another meal or two (saving much time in the future).

1 comment:

  1. I was a bit hesitant to make this since most of the substitute items (ie dairy free cheese) I've had haven't been that great. But this was delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe

    ReplyDelete