Thursday, October 29, 2009

Corn Bread Girl in a Gluten Free World


That's me.  I grew up in the country where everyone had a garden and my grandma made the best cornbread out there.  Cornbread and beans... cornbread and milk... cornbread and Sunday dinner.... cornbread and homemade soup....

Forget yeast rolls baby, there is nothing like warm cornbread out of the oven with a slab of butter on it.  Better than dessert.  The only thing that could hold a candle to my grandma's cornbread was her "cat-head" biscuts!  Of course, we all had to learn to make them.  Mama made cornbread... I made cornbread [and biscuts]....

I think one of the reasons my Honey married me was for my biscuits and cornbread. Then it happened!  My Honey went and "got sick."  Cornbread and biscuits went out the window for a long time. 

Oh, I tried.... tried to make those yummy breads by altering those recipes... but, alas... unless you like sandpaper, you would have never eaten those culinary offerings.  All those years of training in my grandmother's kitchen learning to perfect the art of southern bread gone to waste.

Until now....

I've discovered buckwheat and sorghum baby!  Woohoo!!!

I made some cornbread to go with our soup the other rainy night.  It disappeared faster than the steam rolling off it from the oven.

Quick Corn Muffins
1 c. sorghum or buckwheat flour
1 c. corn meal (or corn flour if you like it more "cakey")
1 tsp. baking powder

Mix these together in a bowl.

1 tbsp. milled flax seed
hot water

Place the milled flax seed in a measuring cup.  Add enough hot water to it to fill up the cup the the 1/4 cup line.  Stir this and let it sit a bit.  Then stir again.  It will become gel-like.  (This is your egg replacer.)

1 c. rice milk

Add the flax gel mixture and rice milk into the dry ingredients until well blended and not lumpy.  Corn bread is a bit thicker than cake mix... but you don't want it too dry. 

Spray your muffin tins with some oil and pour the mix in.  Bake for about 20 minutes in an oven at 375 degrees.  This makes about 12+ corn muffins.  If you have kids... go ahead a make a double batch.

Serve these with butter or soup... or just slap some jelly/jam on them and make them dessert.  MMmmmm....

Grandma would be proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment