Monday, January 25, 2010

Raw Foods??

I've been reading a lot about this lately.  We probably eat more veggies than your average family... but we still have lots of room for improvement in that area. During the past year I have discussed the whole "raw foods" craze with a couple of friends who actually eat this way.  They like it and are so much healthier because of it.  My big worry over this form of eating for us was that we simply cannot eat some of the foods because of allergies/sensitivities.  Even so, I have kept my eyes and ears open to learning more about this new eating lifestyle and how it might help us. [It's really hard for a "cornbread" girl like me to give up her hot, slow cooked veggie way of life.]

Then, it happend.  A box arrived on my porch last month.  My mother calls and says... "I want you to be healthy!"  She had sent us one of those super-sonic-juice-anything-you-put-in-it juicers!  Well... I can't have a new fun toy and not use it. I started immeadiately learning how to operate the big black machine that now occupied a large portion of my counterspace. 

Viola'!  Juicing.  I love it!  I love dumping 3 or 4 kinds of fruit in the thing with some distilled water and a few veggies and watching it swirl!  [It's kinda loud... but you adjust.]  I even made hot soup in the "health machine".  It's better than a V8.  It's fresh and RAW!  I have arrived into the raw foods world through the back door of juicing. And I'm o.k. with it!

"The Kids Favorite Juice"
1 c. frozen sliced strawberries (you could use fresh)
2 large oranges (peeled, we like seedless)
2-3 carrots (we like to peel ours... less gritty)
2 stalks of celery
2 c. distilled water

Dump it in, turn it on... dance around the kitchen... then serve it to your babies with a smile! 
Note: It isn't necessary to tell them it actually has veggies in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment