Monday, January 25, 2010

Gluten Free on a Diet??

It January.  I think every ad I see right now has to do with taxes or diets.  Sigh....

I read an article quite a while back that stated an interesting fact.  It said that family memebers who were not gluten intollerant, but ate the gluten free diet tended to gain weight. So that explains it!  (And I thought it was all the GF cookies I made. Ha!)  The gluten free diet can tend to have more calories that a standard diet because of the extra protein and good fats (nuts, oils, seeds).  I have to say that I am much healthier having gone through this whole process with my family (and a bit heavier also). 

So these past couple of weeks I have been working on menus that included recipes that I could pull out my portion and then let the family have at the rest.  I picked up a "Weight Watchers" 5 ingredient/15 minute recipe book (sounds about my speed most days) actually had a slew of recipes that I could prepare for my family!  Recipes like "Lemony Broccoli", "Pears and Greens Salad", "Orange Chicken" and even a quinoa recipe!  I did have to leave off some cheese here or there.  It was so nice not to have to fix me a seperate "diet" meal.

It inspired me!  I have an old Weight Watchers Points counter.  So I'm attempting to become more aware of the portions I eat with my family.

Here's a little something for you...

"Baked Salmon"

1.5 pounds salmon (usually sectioned into fillets)
1/3 c. lemon juice
salt & pepper (to taste)

Preheat your lovely oven to 400.  Arrange fish, skin side down, on pan (I like my stoneware pan).  Salt and pepper fish.   Drizzle the juice on top. Lay a piece of foil over the top of the dish.  Bake approximately 20 minutes.

Servings: 4
Points: 7 per serving

Serve with a big salad and some rice prepared the way you like... Better than a resturant!

No comments:

Post a Comment