Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Easy Watermelon Sorbet

Sometimes, I just want to go to the store and buy some ice cream! Or sorbet! Or some frozen dessert that is allergy friendly and not loaded with lots of chemicals!  Sure, I can head off to the health food store and find something... but when you have to pay a ginormous price for an eensy-weensy cup of dessert... well, with four kids... that just doesn't go very far. 

So I had a watermelons and some hungry chitlins wanting some "zert" [i.e. what my four year old calls dessert].  Sorbet sounded wonderful to me... but I had to look around and experiment a bit to find something that worked without alcohol or corn syrup.  There are tons of marvelous recipes out there if corn or alcohol or dairy isn't an issue for you.


Easy Watermelon Sorbet
Watermelon
1 c. Water
1 c. Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tbsp. Lime Juice




1. Take the equal amounts of sugar and water and stir them together.  Heat them in a microwave to bring them to a boil (stir every minute or so to keep the sugar dissolving).  You are basically making a sugar syrup out of this.  Once you have this nice sticky syrup... let it cool down.
2. seed and chop up some watermelon (or buy seedless)
3. puree the watermelon (you need 4-6 cups of puree)
4. add the syrup, vanilla and lime juice to the blender/food processor and make it nice and slushy. 
5. Immediately put in a covered freezer container to freeze. 

Takes 4+ hours to freeze, then you scoop and serve!!!

Tip:  I didn't let my "syrup" cool down enough and my sorbet didn't want to freeze.  My kids were dying to have some, so I took out have of the slush mixture, put it in the blender with some ice and made one awesome slushy/sorbet mixture.  It really froze up nicely with the ice added.... yum!!!  But very sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment